Why is Human Hair Wig Getting Dry and Frizzy
1. Lack of Moisture and Nutrition
Just like natural hair, human hair wigs require moisture and nutrients to maintain their softness and shine. Without proper hydration and nourishment, the hair strands can become brittle and prone to frizz.
Solution: Regularly maintain and care for the wig. Use gentle hair conditioners or nourishing products like hair masks. Don't treat it casually just because it's a wig. Proper maintenance is essential for its shine and longevity.
2. Hair Product Buildup
The accumulation of too many hair products can weigh down the wig's strands and lead to a frizzy appearance. It is important to strike a balance between using styling products and ensuring proper cleaning.
Solution: Follow the dosage instructions on the packaging; avoid using too much or too little. Generally, two pumps of shampoo and conditioner are enough. However, this should be determined based on the length and density of your wig. If you have purchased a short bob-length wig, you won't need that much amount.
3. Poor Quality
Low-quality human hair wigs may lack the cuticle layer that helps retain moisture and maintain smoothness. This can result in persistent frizziness and tangling.
Solution: Invest in high-quality human hair wigs instead of overly cheap ones. In most cases, excessively cheap human hair wigs(price under 60$) might contain poor-quality hair or synthetic fibers. This can lead to dryness and breakage of the hair strands.
4. Incorrect Washing and Care Methods
Using harsh shampoos, can strip the wig of its oils and exacerbate frizz. Additionally, rough handling during washing can cause tangling and breakage.
Solution: Gently comb your wig with a wide-tooth comb or a wig brush to detangle and distribute natural oils. Start from the tips and work your way up to prevent breakage. Choose sulfate-free and alcohol-free shampoos and conditioners designed for wigs. When washing the wig, use lukewarm water ( 98-105 degrees Fahrenheit, 36.5-40.5 Celsius). After washing, apply wig conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends to preserve smoothness and minimize frizz.
5. Excessive Heat Styling
Frequent use of hot styling tools without heat protection can damage the hair fibers, causing frizz and reducing the wig's overall quality.
Solution: If you must use heat styling tools, use a heat protectant spray and set the tools to a lower temperature. Infrequent heat styling helps maintain the wig's integrity.
6. Improper Storage
Storing your wig in humid or excessively dry environments can impact its texture. Using incorrect storage methods can contribute to frizziness.
Solution: Store your wig on a wig stand or mannequin head when not in use. This prevents tangling and maintains the wig's shape.
Friction from clothing, pillowcases, or rough surfaces can lead to hair becoming frizzy.
Solution: Use a silk pillowcase during sleep as this fabric reduces friction and helps retain hair moisture. Alternatively, you can wrap your hair in a satin scarf or use a silk bonnet to preserve the curls and minimize frizz to the fullest extent.
How to Fix a Frizzy Human Hair WigIf your wig becomes curly after prolonged use, you can use the following methods to revive it:
1. Add moisturizing shampoo to hot water and soak the wig for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
Mix conditioner with silicon mix and coat the entire wig with the mixture.
2. Wrap it in plastic wrap and microwave on high for two minutes.
3. After taking out the wig, wash it with warm water until the water runs clear.
1. Place the clean and completely dry wig on a wig stand, dividing the hair into sections. Apply a protein-rich hair mask to each section.
2. Completely wrap the wig with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Gently comb through with a wide-tooth comb, then steam in a steamer for 20 minutes.
3. After removing the wig, rinse it with warm water, and allow it to air dry on the wig stand.
1. Rinse the wig with a gentle, non-irritating shampoo, and gently squeeze out excess water.
Let the wig sit in water with 2 tablespoons of baking soda for 15 minutes. Drain the water and rinse the wig.
2. Apply silicon mix to the frizzy parts of the wig. Place the wig in a zipper bag that can withstand high temperatures. Microwave the bag on high for two minutes. Finally, give it a thorough cleaning.